Survey of the Wilts & Berks and North Wilts Canals by D.L. Banfield

Points on the map are from D.L. Banfield's 1969 survey report published by the Council for British Archaeology (CBA) South Midlands in Bulletin No. 9.

Wilts & Berks Canal history and general background can be found in Bulletin No. 8.

Credit to the CBA South Midlands who promote the appreciation and care of the historic environment for the benefit of the present and future generations. Their aim is to provide information, advice and resources to those wishing to know more about the archaeology,

The report states a complete catalogue of results of Mr. Banfield's field work would eventually be deposited in the Berkshire Record Office, the Royal Berkshire Archives aka BRO have been asked if they have received.

01 St. Helen's Wharf

St. Helen's Wharf (inscribed stone) Abingdon, Cast Iron Bridge erected as specified in Act of 1821 over River Ock, inscribed:- "Erected by the Wilts and Berks. Canal Company: AD 1824. Cast at Agramans Bristol" This bridge has been extended in width, otherwise it is a fine specimen of contemporary cast iron work.
D.L. Banfield Survey, 1969

02 Abingdon Lock & River

Site of Lock, Wharf and Basin now Abingdon Laundry. Fine stone wharf store exists. Nissen hut stands directly on lock chamber. Lock rise was 9ft. 6 ins. (depending on level of Thames) to the canal.
D.L. Banfield Survey, 1969

03 Ardington Marsh Lock

Ardington Marsh Lock, exists, rises 9ft. 5 ins. Rotten gates at bottom level.
D.L. Banfield Survey, 1969

04 Milestone

Milestone, inscription illegible (not marked on 25" Ordnance Survey of 1876). [46.5 Miles to Semington. Miletone shown on 25" OS map XIV.3 Revised 1910, Published 1912. Gary K]
D.L. Banfield Survey, 1969

05 Ardington Top Lock

Ardington Top Lock, rise 9ft. 5ins. Superb example of Lock left to decay • Ground paddle gear exists, top gate gone, bottom gates stand Lock cottage derelict.
D.L. Banfield Survey, 1969

06 Pill Ditch Culvert

Fine culvert of Swindon stone for stream by Nevilles Farm. Farm bridge (arch) extinct.
D.L. Banfield Survey, 1969

07 Grove Bottom Lock

Grove Bottom Lock rise 9ft. gins., exists. lop sill and side chambers in good condition (chamber only 7ft. bins. wide - of., 8 ft. on other locks) probably rebuilt.
D.L. Banfield Survey, 1969

08 Smallmarsh Lock

Small March, Lock, rises 9ft. Sins., derelict. West end filled and converted to farm road. At east end gates gone but water in bed, heel post exists.
D.L. Banfield Survey, 1969

09 Grovecommon Lock

Grovecommon Lock, rises 9ft. 3ins., This has an integral brick bridge over the west end of the chamber. Gauging stone set in wall.
D.L. Banfield Survey, 1969

10 Letcombe Brook Aqueduct

Aqueduct rebuilt over Wantage river (Ginge Brook) as required in Enabling Act of 1894.
D.L. Banfield Survey, 1969

11 Limekiln Lock

Linekiln Lock, rises 8ft. 9ins., part filled with rubbish and derelict. Facing brickwork, English bond, 9" x 4" x 2 3/4".
D.L. Banfield Survey, 1969

12 Grove Wharf

Grove Wharf, 4 wharf cottages and old public house still inhabited.
D.L. Banfield Survey, 1969

13 Belmont Bridge

Belmont stone carriage bridge. Semi-circular stone. arch still exists, being destroyed by children.
D.L. Banfield Survey, 1969

14 Wantage Junction

Junction with Wantage Branch.
D.L. Banfield Survey, 1969

15 Wantage Basin

Wantage Basin. Wharfinger house, Wharf store, stable, tack room, weighbridge and toll house all exist in dilapidated condition. This site will be redeveloped soon. it's buildings are original.
D.L. Banfield Survey, 1969