Construction of the North Wilts canal started in 1814 from Swindon and completed in 1819 to Latton and a junction with the Thames and Severn canal. The cut was a total of 8 miles and 3 furlongs, a fall of 58 feet 8 inches, 12 Locks, 34 Bridges and 6 Aqueducts.
In 1821 an act of parliament incorporated both the North Wilts canal and the Wilts & Berks canal. The Canal closed in 1914.